Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sunday, October 23
SUCH a perfect day. Really truly lovely. Drove to Hamburg with Guenni, Oz, and Esra. Guenni drove his father’s Mercedes, which of course means we went way to fast and he completely absorbed in bliss. Oz and I chatted about everything from football clubs to business to the landscape to racism to haribo gummi bears (which are sooo divinely chewy and delicious). The drive took forever and took us through the countryside of both east and west germany. We passed some fat cows, some skinny ones, and even a few honest to goodness scarecrows! I’ve only ever seen them on front porches and on hayrides, never in an actual field scaring actual crows. With the leaves turning, it almost felt like New England. I think trees are very important to me. I love being driven.

Whene got to Hamburg Niklas gave us the official tour of the school. They have amazing amounts of space, and a special upstairs room only for 8th quarter students. They win so many awards in that program, it is amazing. And all I could think was what a luxury it would be to go to school all day and only have to work on my book, for me, and not have to stress about producing it in addition to all of my JVM work. But then again, what an opportunity I have! Our real reason for the trip was to see Renetta, our Quarter Away advisor visiting from Miami. We hung out for a while, had a yummy dinner, and then went to East. www.east-hamburg.de Hotel, bar, restaurant – all beyond posh. Looks like Miami but feels like Berlin. I could have melted into the walls and been completely serene. We were laid back for Sunday, but Saturday the place is absolute scene, electric and vibrant and gilded with golden glimmering guests. Lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home