Sunday, October 09, 2005

Day 10 – Two Ways to Sunday

Dammit. I’m sitting in a friggin internet café and I am not online. And why not? Tmobile are friggin bastards. I was so excited to find a café where I could get online with my own damn computer and it turns out I can’t unless I want to pay 8 euros for an hour. Fuck that. For 8 euros I could pay for the train ride to “surf and sushi” and have sushi and be online. This place is cute at least, I’m eating cheesecake for dinner. But it was a hike to get here and I was soooo looking forward to internet and now I am sad ;( at least they are playing good music. None of which I can download since I am not online. POUT!

Spent the day with Esra. We went to a couple of outdoor markets. They were cute, all handmade stuff. You know the type. I bought a necklace. We had fun I guess. She’s so nice… and quiet… and… yeah. We drove everywhere, so I didn’t get a chance to get lost or find my way around. Actually, I didn’t do that at all this weekend. Sigh. I NEED ADVENTURE! I need to discover this city for myself, not view it from the passenger window. I found a tour I can take on bike next Saturday, that should be great. Wish I could have done it today, but they don’t offer it on Sundays. I guess Sundays I’ll be working from now on anyway. Sigh. I reread this paragraph and I discover I left out all the glamour. Let me try again.

Sunday! Slept so late, by the time I woke up, the sun was streaming through my curtains turning the whole room pink gold. My girl Esra came to pick me up and we headed off for adventure. First stop, the art market. We drove downtown to Mitte, one of the most beautiful districts in Berlin. The architecture there is amazing, especially the Dome. It must be one of the biggest churches in Berlin, and it is just stunning – all the copper has turned green, and is so bright against the cloudless sky. Breath taking. Actually, the weather has been great all week – no clouds, slight breeze, just warm enough with a light sweater, no jacket. Perfect.

The market was very cool. Lots of artisans displaying their handmade wares. Some truly beautiful paintings. Afterwards, I tried a Rostbratworst. Not unlike a hot dog, but very delicious. Esra was so proud of me, I was able to order in perfect German.

The next market we went to also featured a lot of artists, but is better known for antiques. I found a lovely Japanese bowl I would have liked. But at 120 euros, I’ll have to wait a few years! I bought a blue glass necklace instead. I couldn’t resist, the light hits it just right and the colors swirl between shades of blue and green.

After Esra dropped me off, I decide to venture around the neighborhood again. I’m sitting in the sweetest café drinking cappacino with my NY style cheesecake. They have Jack Johnson on their cd player. Its like they knew I was coming ;) I think I could come here often!

Okay, how’s that? Better? You feeling jealous of my sun dappled life again? Gotta keep the perspective on these things. Time to head home now. Its back to work tomorrow.
Kisses! Lauren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home