Monday, July 11, 2005

Why I’m in advertising:

Well, for starters, I love advertising. I am fascinated by taking a product and create meaning and context and culture around it. The product could be as simple as soap, or as complex as fighting prejudice, and either way, the process is the same. You come up with a big idea, then distill until you have a simple, clear, compelling message. Kinda like sugaring for maple syrup. I mean, wow, who’s idea was it to poke a hole in a tree and collect the sap? I’m sure everybody in his colony though he was nuts, right up until they got their first taste. And then it was crystal clear, and everybody was all, “why didn’t I think of that” or “I knew he had it in him” or “you bastard, you’ve commercialized a tree! Think of the squirells!”
Whatever. Did someone say there were pancakes?

Okay, it should also be said that I hate advertising. You know this if you've ever watched TV with me. There is no doubt in my mind that Bernie and Phil will be punished for the pain they have inflicted on the good people of Boston. There are a lot of reasons most ads suck. Sometimes, advertisers don’t try hard enough. Sometimes a product has no soul. Sometimes, the client is too scared to let it have one. I hate advertising. And I work every day to make it worthy of a little more love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home